Attention BCTRA Members:
Further to the earlier messages — Members in good standing** are invited to attend a Special General Meeting on Thursday, June 11th, at 4:30 p.m. at Sunny Hill Health Centre in Vancouver. Opportunities to attend the meeting via video conference will be arranged in various regions around the province.
This meeting will be held to vote on a Board endorsed Special Resolution regarding membership criteria. Information about the Special Resolution and options for voting (In-person attendance, video conference voting and proxy voting) will be sent within the next few weeks. Formal notice of this Special Meeting is attached.
Changes to BCTRA membership criteria
1. At the 2014 AGM a special resolution to re-open membership criteria was proposed, debated and voted on. 52% of the members present voted in favour (not the 75% required to change the constitution).
· For this reason, the board felt obliged to review membership criteria. At a special meeting of the board, held on April 12, 2015 a Special Resolution was created and is unanimously supported by the board.
· The board recommends this change as it balances greater access while preserving standards.
· Attached please see Notice of Special Resolution
Summary of the Bylaw change addressed by this Special Resolution
2) A Professional Member is a person who:
b. on or before December 31st, 2008 received a two year diploma in therapeutic recreation from an educational institution recognized by the Board, or
(The addition of bylaw 2.2 (2)(b) is the only amendment that is being proposed, other than renumbering the rest of bylaw 2.2 (2).)
The board is recommending that the membership support this special resolution
2. In response to membership feedback requesting recognition of experience and preserving standards, the Board has worked to create changes that will reflect the needs of membership. Based upon our current bylaws the Board has changed the policy outlining membership criteria posted on our website. (Please see attached document outlining the entire membership criteria currently posted on the website)
The primary change to membership criteria in this area is the addition of (d):
Under the title Pathways 1, 2, 3
Only the following officially designated majors appearing on the transcript will be accepted for Pathway 2
d) Community Rehabilitation, Human Kinetics, and Kinesiology in combination with a 2 year diploma in Therapeutic Recreation who graduated prior to October 2012.
If bylaw 2.2 (2) is amended, then the criteria of 2.2 (2)(b) will added as a pathway.
Other initiatives the board is currently working on include the following:
1. Special Circumstances Policy - The Board is exploring options for a policy which we are referring to as a ‘Special Circumstances’ policy. This policy will be developed to respond to members who experience changes in their ability to work (e.g. Family or maternity leave, sickness).
2. Membership Appeal Process – the Board is exploring options for an appeals process whereby an applicant who has been denied membership may be provided this opportunity.
3. Development of a New Strategic Plan - the Board is planning to initiate development of a new strategic plan. The Board will develop a frame work for creating a strategic plan and then there will be an opportunity to engage the membership in building this plan at the 2015 AGM / Education day. We will be using ‘Open Space Technology’ to form this plan with those in attendance. The end result will be a fully developed strategic plan to be completed shortly after our 2015 AGM.
Stay tuned for more details regarding Proxy voting, video conferencing and further information. Please feel free to contact a board member if you have additional questions.
**A member in good standing - is a member who has paid their membership dues through BCTRA’s on-line renewal process at least 48 hours prior to the meeting on June 11th. Only Professional Members in good standing can vote. Due to logistics it will not be possible to renew a membership at the door.
Brenda, on behalf of the BCTRA Board of Directors